REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

best 5 wt fly reel for $60

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

best 5 wt fly reel for $60

Postby tjflyfisher » October 26th, 2013, 6:02 pm

ok
i know $60 is a low budget and you get what you pay for so please dont say well for another $30 you could get x reel or b reel for another $40
$60 is the budget so if you only had that to buy a 5 wt fly reel what would you buy and why ??
i have looked at the okuma slv and the greys gx 300 and know that the cabelas wind river reels are on sale right now for $20
trying to set up a friend of mine who already has rod line and backing just needs a reel for under $60
anyone have any suggestions just dont want to get him something that will fall apart on his first weekend trip :mrgreen:
thanks for any info

tjflyfisher
tjflyfisher

Re: best 5 wt fly reel for $60

Postby KRoberts1 » October 26th, 2013, 6:25 pm

go on ebay and find a nice pflueger medalist 1492 for $15 to $40. Great collectors item. Work horse reel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pfluege ... 25845bd3f1

Keith
KRoberts1

Postby KRoberts1 » October 26th, 2013, 6:31 pm

Or try Echo fly reel and spare spool for <$60.

http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/rod_ ... uct_type=2

I have an Albright TW model for my bass rod that is more than adequete. And you might be able to get a flyline included for <$60

http://albrightflyfish.com/items/tw-ree ... detail.htm

keith
KRoberts1

Postby midger » October 26th, 2013, 6:48 pm

KRoberts1 wrote:go on ebay and find a nice pflueger medalist 1492 for $15 to $40. Great collectors item. Work horse reel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pfluege ... 25845bd3f1

Keith

I wouldn't get him a 1492 unless you're sure he reels right handed as the 1492s aren't switchable to left hand wind. The 1494 is however. You might also find a scientific anglers System 1 456. They are pretty good reels for the price and readily available through ebay or amazon--Plus, the are changeable from right to left hand wind. All these reels are click/pawl reels which are fine for trout, bass, and even small steelhead.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby csimcox » October 26th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Check out the Orvis Encounter reel. I haven't used one, but checked them out at the Orvis store and they seemed pretty solid for a reel in that price range. Especially for a large arbor.
http://www.chadsimcox.com Photography and Video portfolio
http://grainfarmer.tumblr.com/ Grain Farmer - tumblr page featuring photography, art and design from around the world
csimcox

Postby WanderingBlues » October 26th, 2013, 7:54 pm

Get ahold of flocktothewall. His bro was importing some Taiwan made Sage looking reels. Fit and finish was surprisingly good, drag was smooth, and it wasn't a pig for weight. Wanna say they were running around $50.00.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby tenandtwo » October 26th, 2013, 11:10 pm

tjflyfisher wrote:ok
i know $60 is a low budget and you get what you pay for so please dont say well for another $30 you could get x reel or b reel for another $40
$60 is the budget so if you only had that to buy a 5 wt fly reel what would you buy and why ??
i have looked at the okuma slv...

tjflyfisher

Not another $30 or $40 but $3 plus shipping - http://store.hookhack.com/SLV-Fly-Reels/products/67/

I own the Okuma slv 2-3 wt there is nothing wrong with it -it is a great reel for the price. I personally do not use it very often because it does not seem to balance as well with my 2 and 3 wt rods as other reels I have in that range. I use those reels more often. I have used it enough to know it does everything I need it to do on trout streams and carry it as a backup. Very good quality - very close to your price point. FWIW
tenandtwo

Postby fflutterffly » October 27th, 2013, 6:55 am

$60.00 reel! I ask if anyone on this forum has a reel they can sell me.
EVERY DAY A VICTORY, EVERY YEAR A TRIUMPH
fflutterffly

Postby BobK » October 27th, 2013, 7:32 am

I 2nd a couple of the above posts. I still fish a Pflueger Medalist 1492 that I got when I was 15. No I never ran across Daniel Boone. I see lots of 1492 and 1494's used, mostly by us older guys on the rivers and creeks up here. One good friend still uses one on Crowley. It is a bit noisy when he hooks a good fish and the drag starts screaming. At least you can tell where he is fishing. Both reels take spare spools and are very easy to take down and keep clean. I wouldn't hesitate using one on Trout, bass or most any freshwater fish. They are hard to break unless you run over one in the rocks. I've actually done that.
BobK

Postby briansII » October 28th, 2013, 10:11 am

In that price range, as long as you stay with a "name brand", I think the quality is going to be pretty much level. Most modern reels in that price range come from one of two countries. Those countries produce reels for name brands, as well as lesser known brands, and private labels. I can't remember having any of my cheap reels fail. A little * drag, slight wobble or tight spot, but never a total failure. If you do have a total failure, you can still trout fish. Just stick the loose line in your pocket. :) I personally would buy him a aluminum(not a fan or composite reels) reel from a company with a good return policy like Cabelas, Orvis or LL Bean.

BTW, if you want your own line of reels, all you need is money, and a minimum order. We could have FFA's reels made in any configurations we choose.....well, almost any configuration.

briansII
briansII

Return to General Fly Fishing