REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Definition Of Insanity

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Definition Of Insanity

Postby midger » February 11th, 2015, 8:25 pm

Keep at it Brian and it will happen. I just watched the April Volkey Shorelines episode where she, her photographer Adrienne (I think that was her name), and another "traditional fly tyer/fisher" were all fishing using different techniques. The traditional spey caster tied beautiful flies and he caught fish his way with his flies. April didn't do so well, but she still fished her way. The photographer fishing down and dirty did the best, again her way. It matters not how you fish, but whether you are content fishing that way and happy with the results you get.

I don't really care how anybody fishes as long as it's legal and I really hate it when some pompous * claims that their way is the only way to fish and to feel satisfaction with your fishing.

I could care less if folks decide to not catch fish their way. :twisted:
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby briansII » February 12th, 2015, 10:38 am

midger wrote:Keep at it Brian and it will happen. I just watched the April Volkey Shorelines episode where she, her photographer Adrienne (I think that was her name), and another "traditional fly tyer/fisher" were all fishing using different techniques. The traditional spey caster tied beautiful flies and he caught fish his way with his flies. April didn't do so well, but she still fished her way. The photographer fishing down and dirty did the best, again her way. It matters not how you fish, but whether you are content fishing that way and happy with the results you get.

I don't really care how anybody fishes as long as it's legal and I really hate it when some pompous * claims that their way is the only way to fish and to feel satisfaction with your fishing.

I could care less if folks decide to not catch fish their way. :twisted:

Wish I was able to see that show.

Like you, I really don't care how someone fishes, as long as it's legal and respects the resource. I sometimes joke about techniques, but mostly I'm poking fun at myself, and not others......mostly. ;) ;) Fact is, fishing is a splintered group, and there will always be folks who think they are doing it the right/better way.

I never thought I'd have this much enjoyment, NOT catching fish. Not to say I don't care about landing a steelhead on the swing, but if I didn't, I didn't feel like it was a wasted trip. Wish I could say that about every fly fishing trip I've taken. Hoping to get to more fertile, swinging water this year.

Oh, and spey casting/fishing has some very cool gear. :P

briansII
briansII

Postby BrownBear » February 12th, 2015, 11:16 am

briansII wrote:
midger wrote:Oh, and spey casting/fishing has some very cool gear. :P

briansII

There ya go! That's the best reason in the world to use a particular type of gear. Use what toots your whistle and enjoy yourself to the max.

I'm indifferent about spey rods, even if I've been using them for almost 40 years. I like them with loooooong heads on traditional floating spey lines for their mending capabilities, and to a lesser degree for making "roll" casts when quarters are tight behind me, whether one-handed or two. Doesn't mean the next guy isn't perfectly legit in using his spey or switch rod for all the things I find superfluous.

My whistle is most thoroughly tooted with bamboo rods. Not because they're better than anything else at a particular job (usually they're worse). But I just happen to like using them.
BrownBear

Postby briansII » February 12th, 2015, 2:18 pm

BrownBear wrote: Use what toots your whistle and enjoy yourself to the max.

Words to live and fish by. :)

Bamboo + spey = ? ;)

As for the long lines, I don't fish them much, but enjoying casting them a lot. As a matter of fact, I cast them almost exclusively while out practicing. Last fishing trip, it took me a while to get back in the groove of skagit casting short heads. In my mind, I need to get down and dirty for winter fish, so out comes the short heads and sinktips. In a few months i'll be out skating flies on full floating lines.

briansII
briansII

Postby BrownBear » February 12th, 2015, 4:20 pm

briansII wrote:
BrownBear wrote:Bamboo + spey = ?

Sad to report, it's either/or for me, not bamboo spey rods. A good friend has a mouthwatering collection of Green Heart bamboo speys dating back to over 100 years and lengths to 15'. I've cast them on casting ponds several times, and they're poetry in motion, even if they weigh about a ton each. He casts them but doesn't fish them.

The fishing jobs go to several "modern" bamboo speys he picked up in Scotland and Norway 40 years ago or so. He has several graphite speys he keeps as loaners, but fishes boo exclusively. Gotta say that when it comes to $4k- $10k for rods like his, there's lots of other stuff I'd use the money for first, if I had it! :bananadance:
BrownBear

Definition Of Insanity

Postby Rasputinj » February 12th, 2015, 11:29 pm

James Reid and Bob clay make hollowed spliced bamboo spey rods. They balance nicely and are you can cast them all day. Dray on the forum built a 10'6 spliced Spey based off a 9ft heddon that James told me to start with when I fished with him in BC and caught some pinks and cutts. I am not sure Spey fishing is for me but it cool to see a great caster throw it out there 120+ft with no effort.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby briansII » February 13th, 2015, 10:00 am

Rasputinj wrote:James Reid and Bob clay make hollowed spliced bamboo spey rods. They balance nicely and are you can cast them all day. Dray on the forum built a 10'6 spliced Spey based off a 9ft heddon that James told me to start with when I fished with him in BC and caught some pinks and cutts. I am not sure Spey fishing is for me but it cool to see a great caster throw it out there 120+ft with no effort.

Be interested to see Dray's rod. I remember reading about it a while back.

Mr Reid and Clay makes some beautiful rods that I hear are a joy to cast. Recently there was a Riverwatch rod(Bob Clay's) and Saracione reel for sale, for a very good price. Restraining myself from contacting the seller, I went into full body spasms. Thank goodness someone bought it before I did something rash. I could see myself not catching steelhead on a bamboo two hander, but I've resisted that slippery slope.

Back to the Greenheart rods. I can only imagine how heavy one would be, but this fellow seems happy casting them. Effortless.

briansII
briansII

Postby BrownBear » February 13th, 2015, 11:44 am

Excellent tape! Thanks.

If you can ever find one of double spey casting with a loooong green heart, it's poetry in motion. Slooooow motion! :)

When doing it yourself it feels like there's time for a cup of coffee while waiting for the tip and line to catch up with each move of the butt, then the line just kind of levitates off the water and races away from you.
BrownBear

Postby briansII » February 23rd, 2015, 4:24 pm

Adding blurry photos as I go along.

Overall, pretty happy with my little Pentax P&S, but low light is a challenge.

Pre dawn and no flash

Flash with early morning mist

Some dudes contemplating lowholing me. :fireangry:

Gotta know it's going to be a boring report when you see wildlife pictures.

What's next. Pictures of plants?

Tombstone of the unknown steelheader.

Here lies the dejected, tortured soul of a swing, steelhead fisherman. May he FINALLY rest in peace.

briansII
briansII

Postby lucfish » February 23rd, 2015, 5:23 pm

:funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup:
lucfish

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing