REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

River Kern Trash problem - This may help

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: River Kern Trash problem - This may help

Postby Sasha » November 2nd, 2012, 10:10 am

Some good stuff in this thread :rockon: You now short of reducing the population drastically in my home state; I think the ideas talked about in this thread are about the best options.

You know Mike, I can completely understand your view on the education piece. I 100% agree that there are accountability and laziness issues especially in that region (as well as some other factors). I personally believe that enforcement and education are the best tools to use. However, with all of California's issue issues right now (budget etc.) who knows how enforcement would be paid for. Personally with the "I don't give a *" culture that is dominate down there coupled with the population size; is the main reasons that my home state is such a * hole these days.
Sasha

Postby briansII » November 2nd, 2012, 10:15 am

Shane,

Was it a commercial rafting company, or just a group of pigs.

By the way, I received a response from the Kernville Chamber. Anyone interested in it, and the attached document, I can PM it to you.

briansII
briansII

Postby RiverRat » November 2nd, 2012, 10:50 am

briansII wrote:Shane,

Was it a commercial rafting company, or just a group of pigs.

By the way, I received a response from the Kernville Chamber. Anyone interested in it, and the attached document, I can PM it to you.

briansII

Very large private party.

shane
RiverRat

Postby DrCreek » November 2nd, 2012, 1:19 pm

So jacked up. I've never had an issue with anyone taking a dump outdoors - as long as it was at least 100 feet away from the water line and it was covered-up with several good-sized rocks or lots of dirt and rocks.

But, we (society) allow the behavior to occur and continue. Accountability, accountability, accountability.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby Jimbo Roberts » November 3rd, 2012, 11:15 am

Our local Trout fishery here in Texas is the Guadalupe River. During the warmer months it is a big tourist attraction with many High school, college, and yound families floating the river in the thousands on the weekends (big weekends 100,000 on the river now). The litter problems started to be noticed back in the early 70's and became worse and worse as the river became more popular. The local community demanded action and formed the " Water Orientation Recreational District" or WORD. This group started charging outfitters a fee for the access of every person who floated the river. They put restrictions on what could be brought to the river: no glass, no styrafoam, limited cooler sizes, installed portapotties in some locations (all outfitters will let you use there restrooms as you float downriver). With most of these fees they started paying for cleanup crews to sweep the river every few days. They recycled much of what they collected which was mainly aluminum cans and plastic bottles. Now during the tubing season there is still trash along the river as they litter is being collected, it is also going into the water continuously, but by the end of the season it's pretty clean again. Maybe you should look into Kernville setting up some aurthority like WORD to help controll the situation and pay for cleanup and patrol.

Jimbo
Jimbo Roberts

Postby RiverRat » November 5th, 2012, 9:58 am

Spent Friday night in Kernville at a poker fundraiser with the SSFF. A few local business owners were present and all of them are tired of the trash and destruction and expressed that several fellow business owners feel the same.
This committee is the real deal and hopefully the powers that enforce will feel the pressure to enforce the rules and come up with new solutions.

By the way,
Slept in a free camping area Friday night and didn't see another camper that evening from Headquarters to JDB. Saturday night I stopped at four campfires in the free areas....three were ten feet from the river.
The fourth had a guy swinging an axe bigger than Paul Bunyan would carry :fireangry:

Honestly, how hard could it be to enforce? Three out of four stops, a ticket waiting to happen. It's not like these pillagers are smart or anyting :stupid:

Friday nights evidence.......should've taken pics of the campfires on Saturday.

TP Roll

diaper

TP everywhere

shane

shane
RiverRat

Postby DrCreek » November 5th, 2012, 10:05 am

RiverRat wrote: ...Honestly, how hard could it be to enforce? Three out of four stops, a ticket waiting to happen. It's not like these pillagers are smart or anyting :stupid:

Exactly. They're so blatant about it, I would think that anyone could walk right up to these morons and they would continue to do whatever they were doing without skipping a beat. I mean, I think that would make it relatively easy for any enforcement officer with good vision and a cite book to start writing. Now if we could just get the enforcement officers paid for and out there.
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Postby RichardCullip » November 5th, 2012, 11:12 am

In contrast to the mess that has become the Kern, I was pleasantly surprised and pleased by the cleanliness I found on Oak Creek in Sedona, AZ. Oak Creek Canyon is located within the Coconino National Forest and the National Forest guys have it tightly locked down and it seems to be working. There is no dispersed camping allowed. Camping is only allowed in designated campgrounds that seem well patroled. There are also official designated day use areas with fairly clean bathrooms and other facilities. Parking any where in the Canyon requires a Red Rock Pass ($5/day, $15/week). This pass could be obtained at any of the popular parking spots via a dispenser that took credit cards. The forest service seems to patrol this area fairly regularly and enforces the rules. This seems to keep it nice and clean and vistor friendly - at least, that's how we saw it in early October. Oak Creek Canyon is the second most visited place in Arizona and the officials there seem to be doing it right. I'd sure like to see this happen in the Kern River Valley.
Life is good. Eternal life is better!

Richard
RichardCullip

Postby Swanee » November 6th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Took this picture on the Kern, just wish I could overlay with the Indian crying. I have participated in clean-ups on the Kern several times in the last 20 years. When I saw this my reaction was that I AM NOT CLAENING UP AFTER THESE PEOPLE ANYMORE!
As you drive over the bridge in Kernville, you can smell the pig's banos. There needs to be a permanent restroom built on the northeast corner of the bridge, otherwise the public just goes UNDER the bridge.
If there were more leaders like Barrie, the Kern River and the world would be a better place.
Swanee
Swanee

Postby Barrie Mann » November 8th, 2012, 1:32 pm

Well I wanted to get this conversation started and I'm pleased to see the responses. I apologize for not being more vocal but for the past week I've in the hospital having my arortic valve replaced in my heart so I will admit that my concerns were elsewhere for a time.
As someone stated there is not just one solution but many approaches to resolving this issue. I'm pleased to see one of the chambers is on board. The other needs to do the same. When you manage to get the chambers riled up things start to happen in the valley. It's amazing how much influence the chabers have at the local and state level. Start a letter program with pics to the two local papers in the valley hinting at the loss of attendence at fund raising events such as Whiskey Flats Days. the Trout Derby and rubber ducky races and stand back and watch the machine go into action. Also suggest having the powers to be (The Feds)get into the act or remove the "Wild and scenic" designation as trash filled river banks and un improved campsites show it to be otherwise. Should that occur then watch for the white water fraternityto become heavily involved.
Just a few thoughts but I need to stop as the meds are kicking in and thoughts are kicking out. Keep the fight going.
Barrie Mann

Postby Rob909 » November 8th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Barrie Mann wrote:I apologize for not being more vocal but for the past week I've in the hospital having my arortic valve replaced in my heart so I will admit that my concerns were elsewhere for a time.

Geez Barrie, ever heard of multi-tasking :lol: ;) jk

Seriously, I had no idea you were dealing with such a serious issue. I hope you are on the fast track to feeling better. Best wishes :)

Rob
Rob909

Postby Wildman » November 8th, 2012, 6:24 pm

Barrie-
Your lack of involvement recently is excused due to major open heart surgery! You have long been a proponent and advocate for our waters and fish. Get well....and then rejoin the fray!

Jim
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby RiverRat » November 8th, 2012, 10:22 pm

Barrie Mann wrote:Well I wanted to get this conversation started and I'm pleased to see the responses. I apologize for not being more vocal but for the past week I've in the hospital having my arortic valve replaced in my heart so I will admit that my concerns were elsewhere for a time.
As someone stated there is not just one solution but many approaches to resolving this issue. I'm pleased to see one of the chambers is on board. The other needs to do the same. When you manage to get the chambers riled up things start to happen in the valley. It's amazing how much influence the chabers have at the local and state level. Start a letter program with pics to the two local papers in the valley hinting at the loss of attendence at fund raising events such as Whiskey Flats Days. the Trout Derby and rubber ducky races and stand back and watch the machine go into action. Also suggest having the powers to be (The Feds)get into the act or remove the "Wild and scenic" designation as trash filled river banks and un improved campsites show it to be otherwise. Should that occur then watch for the white water fraternityto become heavily involved.
Just a few thoughts but I need to stop as the meds are kicking in and thoughts are kicking out. Keep the fight going.

Whitewater fraternity is already involved. Chambers are involved. Today there was a meeting at the Forest Service office in Porterville about the Sequoia National Forest Revision Plan and Guy was invited after the letters started arriving.

The Aquabonitas are drafting a letter, several other clubs are on board, and I hear the KRFF is swamping their mailboxes. The SSFF is working with the local press....stay tuned.

Keep the ball rolling boys.

shane
RiverRat

Postby Barrie Mann » November 9th, 2012, 8:38 am

Shane wrote
" Whitewater fraternity is already involved. Chambers are involved. Today there was a meeting at the Forest Service office in Porterville about the Sequoia National Forest Revision Plan and Guy was invited after the letters started arriving.

The Aquabonitas are drafting a letter, several other clubs are on board, and I hear the KRFF is swamping their mailboxes. The SSFF is working with the local press....stay tuned.

Keep the ball rolling boys."

Good to hear Shane. I should've known the club would be heavily involved. It'll be interesting to see what comes out of it. If I can help let me know, otherwise I'll stay clear so as to not muddy the water.
Barrie
Barrie Mann

Postby Swanee » November 10th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Everybody needs a new flapper valve once in a while! Get well soon Barrie.

I passed out about 60 flyers at the KRFF meeting and sent the rest with El Pato to give out at the shop. I'm glad to hear that someone from the Chamber is seeing some of our posts and I know with a flood of letters in several directions that someone will start paying attention.
swanee
Swanee

PreviousNext

Return to General Fly Fishing