REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Help with waders...

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Help with waders...

Postby FlyinFish » December 30th, 2009, 5:23 pm

Hey guys, I'm thinking it's about time I get myself a pair of breathable waders. Though most of my time is spent on smaller creeks where wet wading or no wading works fine, I'm trying to expand my horizons and it's something I should have.

I'm looking for something cheap but not super cheap. I figure I should be able to find something on clearance somewhere... I guess the main questions are what should I be looking for, and what do you guys like in waders??? It seems to me that any of the decent brands like Orvis, Simms, Cloudveil, Patagonia, etc will have good materials and good construction...

This seems like a good deal: http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx ... t_id=12022 . A chest pocket would be nice, but is not really necessary for me. I think the XLS should be the right size for me. The 46-48 may be a bit large for the chest, but a bit more space can't hurt, right?

Thanks for the help... this should be a whole lot more comfortable and less sweltering hot than wearing 3mm neoprenes in the Owens Valley in the Spring...
FlyinFish

Re: Help with waders...

Postby DubL HauL » December 30th, 2009, 6:22 pm

I saw some Hodgeman for $80 at Sport Chalet in Arcadia. I think they were the same material as the wadelite but with fewer frills. Have no complaints with my wadelites but will probably upgrade next year. This is my 4th season but light use.
DubL HauL

Postby rkfiske » December 30th, 2009, 6:51 pm

It is a rare day to see andy in waders.

I have orvis silver label I bought on sale a year ago. Can't really complain too much they keep water out and aren't horribly hot I also have a pair of hodgeman hip waders that are pretty nice for locals. I bet they're even better if you aren't a midget like me. Got those on sale for 30 bucks, a very nice deal!
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Postby rayfound » December 30th, 2009, 7:16 pm

I prefer waist-high waders, and have pretty mixed feelings about my Cabelas Dry plus waders...

Here's the deal... I, unlike the others, prefer to use waders on our local creeks, because I am always crawling around, standing in the water, kneeling in the water, etc... Plus, with waders I don't have to think about what I'm wearing... just throw them on over my boxer shorts when i get where I'm going (so you'll usually see me show up to the stream in jeans and flip-flops).

However... because of all of that, my waders take a beating. Trouncing through bushes, thorns, etc... I have an entire tube of aquaseal applied to my waders in various places, and I still haven't killed all the pinhole leaks. But like I said, I am crawling around, and generally abusing the * out of the things.

I think, as one progresses up the price scale, the durability of the waders starts to improve, so where my $80 waders may have taken a beating, a pair of $300 simms would probably have held up better (or at least you would have the warranty to fall back on).

I guess what I am saying is, I don't think it is fair for you to judge waders purely on others' experiences... because its a lot about how they are going to get worn/used. Mine are leaky as * because of me... not necessarily a reflection of the manufacturer.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

http://www.adiposefin.com
rayfound

Postby FlyinFish » December 30th, 2009, 8:32 pm

Well, the Orvis site wasn't updated so they don't even have those in stock...

Thanks for the heads up on the Hodgemens. Good option for the price.

Ray, what you mentioned has been a bit of a worry for me. I fear I'd just get all brutal and tear 'em up. I also get on my knees and crawl a lot and sometimes its over rocks and such, and I am constantly sitting on my knees or calf or butt. Brush is also a big concern, although I'd hope they could stand up to that.

That's the thing, it would make things a lot simpler (and drier!) to have them to throw on wherever I go. But if I wanted to baby them, I could save them for "big" water and not use them when fishing ninja waters...

For comparison, I've only gotten one rip in my swishy pants over several years. So maybe they'll make it.

I think I should just get a cheaper pair, $75-$125, and see how things go. If I can find a deal on an Orvis pari, I'll do that. If not, I'll try the Hodgemans or Cabelas...
FlyinFish

Postby FlyinFish » December 30th, 2009, 8:36 pm

BTW, Ray, how bad are the leaks? Does the aquaseal work pretty well? As long as it's manageable, it's definitely worth it for the simplicity and ease...
FlyinFish

Postby greenbug » December 30th, 2009, 10:34 pm

Hey Flyinfish,

This is just what I've experience with Orvis Waders......They leak!!! The good thing is that the warranty is really good. There is a review from me on the Orvis site( Under Pro Guide series). After 10 years of leaky waders, I finally got tired of sending them back. They use to just send you a new pair, but now its a cheesy Aquaseal job. If you have the cash I would suggest a Simms product. At the Marriotts Show the Orvis rep told me the new Sonic Weld waders only got apprx. 400 hrs before they started leaking ( 10-40hr weeks.......for me thats less than two years).
greenbug

Postby Rob909 » December 30th, 2009, 11:23 pm

I have a pair of Simms L2 stockingfoots. They are "middle of the road" in the Simms line and I have had no problems with them.

I do take care of them though. I make sure I don't abuse them more than I need to. I go through brush in them and over rocks in them, but I know when enough is enough. I clean them after every trip and put them away in their original box. They don't get wadded up and thrown in the back of my truck.

So I think it's a matter of knowing how you fish and how much abuse you will put them through. If you are willing to take care of them, then spend the money and get something of quality. If you know you are going to abuse them, then buy a less expensive pair and expect to replace them every year or so. Or just buy a heck of a lot of Aquaseal ;)

Rob
Rob909

Postby Artin » December 31st, 2009, 9:22 am

Hi Arin,
My experience with waiders are based on 2 brands only. I had a pair of Hodgmans which actually were neoprene and split @ the stitching between the legs and 2 pairs of Simms. I think Simms makes great waders that last through abuse. My first breathables were Simms for $129 or $149... I don't quite remember the exact price... I used them for a few years. I now have bought the guide waders which are also awesome.
I do think though that at a certain price point you do get into comprable products.
If you get 3 brands of breathables in the $300 price point they will all perform similarly. Remember all people have different experiences with products.
If you go to the east coast, they swear by Orvis products, but, here in the west we are partial towards Simms type companies.
I know of a company not well known that makes good waders and uses superior materials in all their outdoor clothing line. They are called Filson. But many are not familiar with the brand... It's mostly marketing I think that makes a product favorable over others.

But if I were to get another pair of waders I would buy a pair of Simms... Their good and I have experience with them. I like them.
Hope this helps

Artin
ethics is something you do when no one is watching
Artin

Postby FlyinFish » December 31st, 2009, 9:25 am

Hmm, ya, it may be worth it to spend the dough and get the Simms... but I do like having something I can beat up and not be too worried about. May be worth it to just get some Simms and put them through some abuse and see how they hold up for me. Thanks for all the input guys! That should help me decide one way or the other...
FlyinFish

Postby rayfound » December 31st, 2009, 9:41 am

FlyinFish wrote:BTW, Ray, how bad are the leaks? Does the aquaseal work pretty well? As long as it's manageable, it's definitely worth it for the simplicity and ease...

Not Bad at all... Its basically a few pinholes so that I end up damp after fishing, when I used to end up dry. If I dedicated the time, I could likely Identify the spot and fix it.

Aquaseal works very well if you find the hole, as long as you haven't run out of it already.
Fishing is the most wonderful thing I do in my life, barring some equally delightful unmentionables.

rayfound

Postby briansII » December 31st, 2009, 11:24 am

FlyinFish wrote:Hmm, ya, it may be worth it to spend the dough and get the Simms... but I do like having something I can beat up and not be too worried about. May be worth it to just get some Simms and put them through some abuse and see how they hold up for me. Thanks for all the input guys! That should help me decide one way or the other...

ALL waders leak. You can purchase the $700 Simms and they WILL leak if you abuse them. Crawling on your knees not only causes punctures, but it's very hard on the seams......a weak point on most waders. Some waders leak right out of the box, and some will hold up fine for a few years. Having said that, paying for names like Simms, Patagonia and other higher end stuff will mean you'll likely get a better quality, tested wader. No guarantees, but the odds are in your favor with proven brands.

After owning several pairs, I'm very happy if I get a whole year without a leak on a new pair. If you fish hard, they will leak. Look at it this way. Aquaseal is a badge of honor. It means you are out fishing, and using your equipment. FWIW, I tend to wear waders(or long pants)during the warmer months more often than I use to. Going through brush, falling, stinging nettles, bugs/parasites and poison oak can take a toll by the end of the day.

......I must be getting old and frail...... :cry: :cry: ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby castaway » December 31st, 2009, 11:32 am

as far as the warrenty goes... I am pretty sure even most of the big name brands will only warrenty the seems. meaning if you crawl in your wadders and get a hole.. they will not replace them.

I ripped two holes (small pin-hole rips on both knees) in my simms wadders yesterday crawling around on boulders, but like Ray I abuse the * out of them and these were my first pin-holes.
2010: Fishing days 19

The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything. ~Fight Club
castaway

Postby rayfound » December 31st, 2009, 11:40 am

briansII wrote: Aquaseal is a badge of honor. It means you are out fishing, and using your equipment. FWIW, I tend to wear waders(or long pants)during the warmer months more often than I use to. Going through brush, falling, stinging nettles, bugs/parasites and poison oak can take a toll by the end of the day.

A badge of honor is right. My waders are covered in aquaseal and black-sharpie (for marking where suspected holes are). I could care less.

Like brian, One of the reason I wear my waders as much as I do is that they are tough pants that protect me to some degree from all that garbage. The Breathable waist highs do not make me feel hot when I'm wearing them in moderate weather, so there is really no downside.

Neoprene on the knees feels a lot better kneeling in gravel than the average pair of pants or shorts.

rayfound

Postby flybob » December 31st, 2009, 11:50 am

Hey Arvin, I am not the expert here, but I bought me a pair of these a few years ago, and they are awesome!
I try to save a buck when I can, and I am not picky about brand names, YET...LOL!
Especially when I do what RAY does as well, crawling around in the thickets and kneeling in the gravel and boulder hopping.
They also come in waist high.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0011367

I just got their winter sale catalog and they are on sale!

JMHO,
Bob
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing