REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Bye bye, Photobucket

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Bye bye, Photobucket

Postby DrCreek » July 18th, 2017, 5:15 pm

Got my general email today telling me, "We've noticed you're using PB for third party hosting." No kidding, clowns ! Been doing it for years ! Telling me to upgrade to 500. Uh, no thanks 'cuz I decided to go with a REAL photo host called IMGUR. Bye, Felicia. :bananadance:
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Re: Bye bye, Photobucket

Postby briansII » July 19th, 2017, 8:21 am

Still waiting to get my PB eviction notice. I've read that Aug was D Day, and everybody should be notified by then. I'm currently paying $29.99 a year, so maybe they'll give me a few extra days? :roll:

I cannot confirm this, but I also read(on a fishing forum)that sites like imgur, Flickr, and Google are headed in the same direction as Photobucket. Could be just rumors, but I can see other sites jumping on board if Photobucket makes a nice profit off their decision to charge users.

briansII
briansII

Postby DarkShadow » July 19th, 2017, 8:50 am

Bandwidth isn't cheap.

Hopefully Imgur, et. al. don't pull the same thing as Photobucket did.

Ultimately, having your own website and paying for the domain registration every year will be the only option.
DarkShadow

Postby NorcalBob » July 19th, 2017, 9:57 am

Me too, I also have a paid PB subscription. I've heard that PB is honoring their subscriptions through DEC 2018 and if you have a paid account in good standing they will not cut you off. Mine is still working. Doesn't matter to me though, I've switched to IMGUR already as the extortion fee PB wants is just too rich for my blood. I have no problem paying a small fee for photo hosting services on the order of $20-30 annually. But not $400!

briansII wrote:Still waiting to get my PB eviction notice. I've read that Aug was D Day, and everybody should be notified by then. I'm currently paying $29.99 a year, so maybe they'll give me a few extra days? :roll:

I cannot confirm this, but I also read(on a fishing forum)that sites like imgur, Flickr, and Google are headed in the same direction as Photobucket. Could be just rumors, but I can see other sites jumping on board if Photobucket makes a nice profit off their decision to charge users.

briansII
NorcalBob

Postby Ants » July 20th, 2017, 4:24 pm

I certainly wasn't left out. I got my eviction notice also.

Since I am not a big poster of photos, the impact is minor. But, the prospect of trying to go back to prior posts and amending for prior PB usage is a nuisance. Time will tell as far as prior posts. As for the next posts, I will give the upload attachment a try - like, right now.

Oops! File was way too big. Time for some picture sizing practice.

Ants
Ants

Postby John Harper » July 20th, 2017, 4:46 pm

So, what is the status of original photos that you have already uploaded to PB? Do I still have access to download to a local drive/stick type media?

I have not got any emails from PB, and I guess I'd just like to offload my photos if I can no longer post them on forums. I do see that my old photos are now blocked with their notice.

I did create an account at imgur.com, but have yet to try it.

John
John Harper

Postby NorcalBob » July 20th, 2017, 5:05 pm

As of right now, PB is still providing access to your photo's and you can download them to a drive or stick. The only thing they've disabled is photo hosting on forums like this one. But, if you don't have the photo's any where but PB (that would be a mistake!), I'd be downloading to your storage device real quick because I don't think PB is gonna survive much longer! And when PB goes Tango Uniform your photos will disappear for good!
John Harper wrote:So, what is the status of original photos that you have already uploaded to PB? Do I still have access to download to a local drive/stick type media?

I have not got any emails from PB, and I guess I'd just like to offload my photos if I can no longer post them on forums. I do see that my old photos are now blocked with their notice.

I did create an account at imgur.com, but have yet to try it.

John
NorcalBob

Postby DrCreek » July 21st, 2017, 3:47 pm

Like you guys, I have to believe that since businesses are in business to make money, places like PB will start hitting us with fees as well. They'd be stupid not to. I wouldn't give away any service of mine, either. Money is money, man !
"You can't keep a good Dr down."
Days On The Salt in 2017 - 114
Days On The Salt in 2018 - 39

DrCreek

Return to General Fly Fishing