REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Public Welcome to Comment on Proposed Kern River Rainbow Tro

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Public Welcome to Comment on Proposed Kern River Rainbow Tro

Postby acorad » May 21st, 2015, 12:10 pm

Public Welcome to Comment on Proposed Kern River Rainbow Trout Project for Sequoia National Park

The public is welcome to comment on a project proposed by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) to collect genetically pure Kern River rainbow trout (KRRT) from three populations located in the wilderness of Sequoia National Park. A 15-day public comment period starts on Wednesday, May 20, 2015. All comments must be transmitted, postmarked, or hand-delivered by June 3, 2015.

The proposed action would enable a genetically pure strain native trout to be restored to former habitat where it is expected to enhance wilderness and non-wilderness recreational experiences in its “original California source watersheds.”

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cf ... ntID=66205

Although there are usually always bumps along the road in these types of projects, planting native KRR trout in the Kern and its tribs seems like a really good idea to me.

Andy
acorad

Re: Public Welcome to Comment on Proposed Kern River Rainbow

Postby WanderingBlues » May 21st, 2015, 5:51 pm

Done.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Jimbo Roberts » May 21st, 2015, 10:32 pm

Done
Jimbo Roberts

Postby FIGHTONSC » May 22nd, 2015, 6:14 am

Done
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby acorad » May 22nd, 2015, 7:13 am

Awesome, guys!

Andy
acorad

Postby briansII » May 22nd, 2015, 9:34 am

So, from what my pea brain can digest, this project is to collect pure strain KRRs, and raise them at the Kern Hatchery. At some point, they will be reintroduced to their historically native watersheds. That about right?

The document I read seems to be a very preliminary outline. Sounds like a worthy plan, but I can't help but wonder how, where, and what the final goal is. Shane, you have any ideas on that?

briansII
briansII

Postby WadeK » May 23rd, 2015, 3:11 pm

Anyone notice that there's no upper size limit? I'd think transporting larger KRRTs would be counter-productive as a fishes need for space grows almost exponentially with respect to it's size. Perhaps a 12" max size would be advisable?

Tight lines,
Wade
I fish for my sanity. If I catch it, should I still practice catch and release?
2014 log entries so far: 16.
WadeK

Postby littlefish » May 27th, 2015, 3:17 pm

So does this mean the hatchery will get much needed funding?
littlefish

Postby Wildman » May 27th, 2015, 4:34 pm

Shane can give you the straight scoop but the gist that I got from him was to raise pure KRR at Kernville Hatchery and instead of stocking trout from Oregon, stock KRR. I know they have done a lot of work securing water sources that will keep the hatchery going no matter the drought. My understanding was that Kernville will repopulate the River and local creeks as well. Shane has worked on this for years along with many others. I submitted my positive response.
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."
John Wayne
Wildman
Site Admin

Postby briansII » June 3rd, 2015, 9:04 am

Wildman wrote:Shane can give you the straight scoop but the gist that I got from him was to raise pure KRR at Kernville Hatchery and instead of stocking trout from Oregon, stock KRR. I know they have done a lot of work securing water sources that will keep the hatchery going no matter the drought. My understanding was that Kernville will repopulate the River and local creeks as well. Shane has worked on this for years along with many others. I submitted my positive response.

Thanks. I too left comments supporting the project. I just had some small, hopefully unwarranted concerns. Not anything to do with Shane and others hard work. I hope it will come to fruition.

briansII
briansII

Return to General Fly Fishing