REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Weekend By The Bay

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Weekend By The Bay

Postby briansII » April 21st, 2015, 9:41 am

Spent last weekend in SF with my daughter. It's not a city I look forward to visiting(hate the traffic and no parking), but Spey-O-Rama was going on. My daughter wanted to hit the Academy of Science, and the beach. We did all three, along with some good food. Apologies for some fuzzy, zoomed in P&S, and cell phone pics.

The historic Golden Gate Casting Club.

The ponds.

Caster from all over the world were there to compete.

Pulling numbers for the competition. More than a few world champions in this group.

Gun rack, with casters choice of weapons.

A few competitors.

Women competitors.

One of the most impressive things I saw that weekend, was this fist time competitor. She may have not had the skills....YET, to pressure the other women, but this young girl had bucket fulls of guts. She waded out in front of a crowd, made her casts with poise, and got a BIG round of appluase when she finished.

Last years champ warming up.

....a few more pics to follow. I have to get to a dentist appointment. :bananadance: :sad:

briansII
briansII

Re: Weekend By The Bay

Postby NorcalBob » April 21st, 2015, 12:01 pm

Oh man Brian, don't tell me you're turning into a spey snob!!!!! :twisted: :roll:
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » April 21st, 2015, 12:09 pm

Not a lot of vendors, but there was some quality stuff on display.

Nice vintage reels. The stuff up front was very nice, but the back row was stellar. Seamaster, Bogdan, and Noel to name a few.

Didn't "browse" as much as I could have. We had other attractions to see.

After making laps to find parking......

The Academy Of Science was very cool. We could spend all day in there, but we had a couple other things to do.

Fun weekend.

briansII
briansII

Postby briansII » April 21st, 2015, 12:13 pm

NorcalBob wrote:Oh man Brian, don't tell me you're turning into a spey snob!!!!! :twisted: :roll:

Nope. I'm just one of those fad chasers. Next, I'll be extreme saltwater fishing with a Tenkara rod, and macrame-ing sweaters outta hemp. ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby NorcalBob » April 21st, 2015, 2:27 pm

Before or after you smoke it????!!!! :booty: :fart:
It actually looked like a fun weekend, minus the spey part!!!! :bananadance:
NorcalBob

Postby WanderingBlues » April 21st, 2015, 3:05 pm

Yet another facet of fly fishing I've yet to try (and spend too much $$ on)
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Sasha » April 21st, 2015, 4:03 pm

Pretty frickin sweet!!! Looking at that casting pond I was thinking that it must be odd to cast without a current.

In other news, I got my Meiser back and it is as good as new :bananadance:
Sasha

Postby midger » April 21st, 2015, 6:22 pm

Looks like you had a great weekend (aside from the parking issues). Liked seeing the Anderson display. They make some great looking rods--one of my favorites is a Sage 590 RPL from 1991. Still a wicked rod although not a spey.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby lucfish » April 21st, 2015, 6:42 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:Yet another facet of fly fishing I've yet to try (and spend too much $$ on)

That spey casting is a whole nother animal. It's like starting over again. Glad you had a good time with your daughter.
lucfish

Postby Benny » April 21st, 2015, 7:04 pm

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
Benny

Postby Wingnut » April 22nd, 2015, 7:48 am

You can cover a lot more water with a Spey. The hard part is matching the rod to the line. Beats being a pinner.
Wingnut

Postby briansII » April 22nd, 2015, 9:44 am

I wished I tested cast a few rods, but the west pond(meant for test casting and practice)was busy pretty much the whole time. The only time it wasn't busy, was during the finals. I didn't feel like casting rods in front of a crowd, with world champions doing their thing in the next pond. A couple bamboo, and graphite speys were calling my name though. I picked up a nice reel in the club, silent auction.

If you are thinking of getting into spey, do it....... So I don't feel so alone here. :cry:

Anderson had an absolutely gorgeous, flamed bamboo rod on display. He also had some grass speys in the rod rack to demo. I did not dare pick one up. And yes, he does an awesome job on Sages, and his own rods. I have a couple of his "trout speys", and cannot say enough good things about them.

The two days had swirling, windy conditions. I think the scores reflected that. Give a world champ a favorable wind and he'll make a ridiculously long cast. Unfavorable wind means they are human, but still cast longer than 99.9%. And yeah, they cast on still water. It's a little different than moving water, and my guess is most, if not all, practice on still water. They also cast while standing crotch deep in the water. That's different than some other competitions I've seen where they stand above the water. Big deal when you are casting for distance.

IMHO, for pure pleasure, spey does beat pinning.....but not in the fish count category. ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby briansII » April 22nd, 2015, 3:40 pm

...and so my daughter and I are standing in line at this small, kind of out of the way, bakery/cafe. Very popular with the locals it seems. I notice the guy in front of us looks familiar. He turns so I can see his full face, and I know immediately who it is. I whisper to my daughter to get a good look at him. She gives me the, "are you crazy?" look. I said, just look at him. She asks why, and I told her I'll show you later. Back in the car, I load up this video on my phone.

I pause it on one of the guys(Jeff Hickman)so she can see his face. I ask her, do you remember this guy. She looks puzzled, then says, "oh yeah!". We see him, and several other fly fishing/spey casting luminaries during the weekend. I mentioned a few to my daughter, but she wasn't impressed. :)

briansII
briansII

Postby stanbery » April 24th, 2015, 1:52 pm

Brian

Looks like a great weekend.
One question? You only bought one reel?

Are you sick? Nt felling well? LOL

jon
2013: Days on the Water so far - 29
2014: Days on the Water so far - 28
stanbery

Weekend By The Bay

Postby Rasputinj » April 26th, 2015, 12:04 pm

Brian
Did you happen to see any James Reid bamboo Spey rods ? He is out of Vancouver and said he was going to be there. I fished with him and got to play a little with his Spey rods, it is incredible to be able to lay out that amount of line, makes a big difference on the bigger rivers. Dray built a bamboo Spey just don't have many great places to use it locally.
Looks like a very cool trip.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Next

Return to General Fly Fishing