REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Float tubing.

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Float tubing.

Postby Image2325 » March 26th, 2015, 4:39 pm

Hey guys. My birthday is coming up and I'm thinking of getting a float tube for Flyfishing the sierras. Some tips would be appreciated! I have not tried still water fly fishing yet. Need some pointers such as fly lines , flies , gear and techniques.

Thanks Jeff
Image2325

Float tubing.

Postby Rasputinj » March 26th, 2015, 5:49 pm

Get a net with longer handle, straps to carry float tube if you want to hike into places to fish.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Re: Float tubing.

Postby Benny » March 26th, 2015, 7:47 pm

What kind of float tube are you getting?
I've had my Outcast Fish Cat for quite some time and really enjoy the tube. Not to heavy and easy to carry on a trial with the after market straps.

Two rods
1. Sinking line for stripping streamers in deeper lakes where you need to get down to the fish, "BBL" would be perfect. I have used my 6wt surf rod for this and it works just fine. It's on the heavy side, but when you strip streamers you tend to get some freight train like takes from fish. This could also be a crossover rod for stripers as well.
2. Floating line for fishing midges under an indicator in especial Crowley, you could get away with using your nymphing rod.

Possible fruits of your labor from a tube or pontoon.

Benny

Postby dray » March 26th, 2015, 8:55 pm

Leashes for your fins are a must, ask me how I know :doh: I have the Outcast Fat Cat and it keeps you a little higher off the water. Cumberland has a decent one (my son uses one) reasonably priced. The seat is not inflatable, it's the cushion style, but he still hikes with it. My next ride will be a pontoon for those areas easy to access.

DANG Benny you need a bigger net....LOL

Darrin
dray

Postby WanderingBlues » March 26th, 2015, 9:10 pm

Benny wrote:

That was a good day, Benny!

Gear wise, you don't need anything particular over what you might have. I regularly fish Crowley with a 3wt, and it does fine. Caught the fish above, and bigger than that as well.

A sinking line helps for strippin' meat, but a floating line with a long leader will do just as well. Deep water indicating is very effective. In fact, if you ever chat with BobK, you'll find he's the authority on that method.

I have a nice tube but.... I wish I had a pontoon type to incorporate both kicking and paddling. Just my 2 cents.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby planettrout » March 27th, 2015, 7:25 am

Jeff...

Do a little research on these three guys, Brian Chan, Phillip Rowley and Denny Rickards. Combined, those three know more about Western stillwater Fly Fishing than anyone. Here are a few links to get ya' started:

http://www.rioproducts.com/blog/fly-lin ... il-rowley/

http://www.stillwaterflyfishingstore.com

http://flycraftangling.com

http://www.flyfishingstillwaters.com/index.asp

Steve Schalla's site, on lakes:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/lake1.htm

Here are some streamer, soft hackle and scud patterns that I use on high elevation lakes on the Eastside:

https://planettrout.wordpress.com/2014/ ... e-sierras/

PT/TB ;)
Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have? How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
planettrout

Postby BrownBear » March 27th, 2015, 8:35 am

Pick up a mesh drawstring bag, the kind backpackers use for organizing gear. Approximately gallon size is just right. Add a length of line and you have a perfect lightweight anchoring system. Just add rocks for weight. Especially on breezy days you'll find an anchor invaluable for holding position. Add a small buoy to the top of the line along with a brass spring clip, and you can easily disconnect from the anchor when fighting a big fish or making a quick kick to shore for a personal moment, yet return to the exact spot where you were finding the fish.

With the buoy and clip arrangement you can attach at different points around the tube and orient yourself as desired for casting in the wind.

Total cost of parts is less than $20. The best money you can spend for float tubing in our 40 year experience with them.
BrownBear

Postby Image2325 » March 27th, 2015, 11:26 am

Thanks for the help guys! I'm getting either a fish cat or creek company tube. What type of sink line would be best for overall purposes?
Image2325

Postby briansII » March 27th, 2015, 1:16 pm

Image2325 wrote:Thanks for the help guys! I'm getting either a fish cat or creek company tube. What type of sink line would be best for overall purposes?

If I had to chose just one sinking line for lakes, it would be a type 3, full sinking line. Doesn't sink too fast for suspended fish, but you can dredge up some bottom feeders too. I'f I'm limited on storage space, I carry a floater and a type 3. If not, I carry a floater, intermediate, and type 6, full sinking line.

briansII
briansII

Postby duckdog » March 28th, 2015, 12:03 am

I have 2 fast sinking full sink lines( a 5and a 6wt), 2 fast sinking 25 ft sink tip lines again a 5 and a 6wt, a clear 10 ft sink tip with a slow sink rate ,a Rio versa tip ,and a couple of floating lines for fishing Crowley. What i use on a particular day depends on where the fish are hanging out and the time of year. If the fish are deep then it's the full sink, and a deep midging rig. And maybe the 25ft sink tip. If they are in 10 ft of water then it's the 25ft sink tip and a normal midging rig. And I might rig up the full sink or the clear tip as well, some times the fish will move off into deeper water, some times I might want to go probe the shallower water. I usually bring 3 rods out with me.If it's fry time it will be the 10 ft clear tip or a floater with a fry pattern to throw around the weeds , a deeper rig like the 25 ft sink tip with a fry pattern , and a midge rig.
Like I said , the fish dictate. just try to have the whole water column covered. If you only have 1 rod and reel to dedicate lake fishing, get extra spools for that reel. I wouldn't be without a fast sinking full sink, a 20 or 25 ft sink tip and a floater. If I could only have 2 lines it would be the 25ft sink tip and the floater. If I could only have 1 line it would be the 25 ft sink tip. You can midge vertically with that 25 ft sink tip . Geez I can't wait till Crowley is open !
duckdog

Return to General Fly Fishing