REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Getting Older isn't all bad...........

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Re: Getting Older isn't all bad...........

Postby briansII » September 18th, 2014, 11:14 am

NorcalBob wrote:Happens to me ALL the time! Sometimes it's just easier for me to go out and buy something instead of trying to look for it! :roll:

I love this! Can I use it?

briansII
briansII

Postby Papasequoia » September 18th, 2014, 11:19 am

briansII wrote:
NorcalBob wrote:Happens to me ALL the time! Sometimes it's just easier for me to go out and buy something instead of trying to look for it! :roll:

briansII

I rest my case.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby midger » September 18th, 2014, 12:45 pm

Papasequoia wrote::LIAR: :LIAR:
midger wrote:
Papasequoia wrote:No, I know exactly where all five of my reels are. :twisted:

See, there lies the problem. I have my 5 reels in 5 different hiding spots, and I can't remember where those spots are or if they're in California or Idaho. :roll:

Uh huh. Try adding a zero (or two!) to that five. Admit it, when you (and Brian) and a few others TBN introduce yourselves you should say, Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a gear *. :lol: old age ain't got nothing to do with it!

I don't have 500 reels, and I doubt I have 50. ;) At least not in California.

I like to cycle equipment through as it keeps it fresh.
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby NorcalBob » September 18th, 2014, 12:46 pm

I use it all the time! Why shouldn't you!!!! :booty:

briansII wrote:

briansII
NorcalBob

Postby briansII » September 18th, 2014, 3:52 pm

Anyone see where I left my 4" Hardy Perfect Wide? It was right here just the other day!

briansII
briansII

Postby Autodave » September 18th, 2014, 7:40 pm

Midger...I don't even know how you keep track of the flies you have, you have about 50 fly boxes!
Autodave

Postby midger » September 19th, 2014, 8:03 am

Autodave wrote:Midger...I don't even know how you keep track of the flies you have, you have about 50 fly boxes!

This one is easy. I use 1-2 gallon plastic Ziploc bags that are labelled. Bag for BWO patterns, Bag for PMD, Bag for steelhead patterns, Bag for Minnow imitations, Bag for Midge patterns, etc, etc. I also have specific bags for watersheds I fish often--ie Owens River Bag, Owyhee Bag, Boise Bag, etc. All the bags then go into a big bin that I can quickly pull together flies I'll need for the day so I can switch out boxes in my fishing shirt which usually has 3-4 boxes of flies. I guess I need to get everything else organized as well, paint my car bright Orange so I don't lose it in parking lots, and store all reels in a large bin painted some fluorescent color. ;)
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby BrownBear » September 19th, 2014, 9:46 am

One thing that's really helped us is what we call our "truck box." It's a large, low plastic bin with lid intended to slide under your bed at home for storage and long enough for cased rods up to 4-piece 10' models. We keep a standard set of gear and spares in it, and we can put it in the truck with assurance that 99% of our gear is all right there. Just throw it, waders and boots into the truck, and we're headed out the door. I have to do that, or I leave a continuous string of forgotten bear behind me.
BrownBear

Postby WanderingBlues » September 19th, 2014, 11:20 am

Well, there was the trip with Treecatcher where we met Dr. Creek at ETC. I forgot nothing and we had a great session. When we finished, I put my brand new wading boots on the roof of the car to dry and had a beer. Long story short, I eventually found one boot.....
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby briansII » September 19th, 2014, 1:29 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:Well, there was the trip with Treecatcher where we met Dr. Creek at ETC. I forgot nothing and we had a great session. When we finished, I put my brand new wading boots on the roof of the car to dry and had a beer. Long story short, I eventually found one boot.....

Yup. Brand new Scott rod and Lamson reel I got to fish for a 1/2 day. No trace when I went back for it.

briansII
briansII

Postby BrownBear » September 19th, 2014, 2:04 pm

briansII wrote:...Brand new Scott rod and Lamson reel....

Reminds me of my grandparents' neighbor when I was growing up. The neighbor had a pet raven they'd raised from a chick and named Joe (as in Joe Crow), but Joe turned out to be Joline. Come spring she started nest building, and her material of choice was windshield wiper blades. For many blocks around, you couldn't find a single car with windshield wiper blades, but she had a dandy big nest.

I figure there must be big old ravens everywhere with a taste for graphite nest building materials. I can picture the nests high up in fir or cottonwood trees overlooking popular rivers. The reels? Maybe the ravens are still brooding, waiting for them to hatch. :bananadance:
BrownBear

Postby KRoberts1 » September 20th, 2014, 6:02 pm

As I get older, I have to prepare checklists to save my butt. Bit I can never find the note pad I wrote it on.

keith
KRoberts1

Postby lucfish » September 20th, 2014, 7:12 pm

:funnyup: :funnyup: :funnyup: Good one.
lucfish

Postby Richard W T » September 22nd, 2014, 2:03 pm

yea but my memory issues are the result of head injuries :doh:
"How do you help that son of a *?"
"By taking him fishing."
-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
Richard W T

Previous

Return to General Fly Fishing