REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Hello, first post.

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Hello, first post.

Postby FlyBo » August 22nd, 2014, 12:08 pm

Hi, I am Bo, I live in Bakersfield, California. Very nice site here.
My question is, is there an all around fly? Something that seems to work in a lot of different California locations?

If so, can you name them?
FlyBo

Re: Hello, first post.

Postby Benny » August 22nd, 2014, 1:07 pm

Hares ear, Pheasant tail, and Zebra midges.... Never leave home without them.
Benny

Postby BrownBear » August 22nd, 2014, 1:11 pm

I'd sure add an olive Woolly Bugger to the list, sizes #10 through #4. I've caught bass (largemouth and smallmouth, depending), trout, crappie and catfish on them Buena Vista Lakes, the upper (no catfish or bass there, but carp minnow) and lower (add carp minnows) Kern River, Isabella. Even picked up a few barred surf perch in the surf over at Morro Bay. Dandy early and late fly on the lower Owens, too.
BrownBear

Postby clee » August 22nd, 2014, 2:47 pm

BrownBear wrote:I'd sure add an olive Woolly Bugger to the list, sizes #10 through #4. I've caught bass (largemouth and smallmouth, depending), trout, crappie and catfish on them Buena Vista Lakes, the upper (no catfish or bass there, but carp minnow) and lower (add carp minnows) Kern River, Isabella. Even picked up a few barred surf perch in the surf over at Morro Bay. Dandy early and late fly on the lower Owens, too.

We have a winner! The Woolly Bugger of any color gets them all in any water whether in clear water, brown water or salt water. The clouser may come in a close second.
clee

Postby lucfish » August 22nd, 2014, 3:05 pm

clee wrote:
BrownBear wrote:I'd sure add an olive Woolly Bugger to the list, sizes #10 through #4. I've caught bass (largemouth and smallmouth, depending), trout, crappie and catfish on them Buena Vista Lakes, the upper (no catfish or bass there, but carp minnow) and lower (add carp minnows) Kern River, Isabella. Even picked up a few barred surf perch in the surf over at Morro Bay. Dandy early and late fly on the lower Owens, too.

We have a winner! The Woolly Bugger of any color gets them all in any water whether in clear water, brown water or salt water. The clouser may come in a close second.

Agree, it's hard to beat a bugger for versatility. I used to have them tied on 5/0 hooks in fluorescent orange and absolutely hammer the corvina at the Salton Sea.
lucfish

Postby WanderingBlues » August 22nd, 2014, 5:05 pm

For dry fly action, the size 16 Parachute Adams is the schizzle. For nymphing, a size 16 PT Flashback, and for all others, the olive or black wooly bugger.

Welcome to the site. Feel free to lean on anyone for advice. It's a solid group.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Papasequoia » August 22nd, 2014, 5:37 pm

Sex dungeon.
Nature always wins.
> miles = < people
Camp in the mountains, not the left lane!
Papasequoia

Postby FIGHTONSC » August 22nd, 2014, 6:11 pm

I agree with Clee and BrownBear. I'll even go so far to say that a bead head or cone head olive wooly bugger is one of the best flies ever invented!

When all else fails, it is always my "go to" fly, and has been for twenty plus years.

My $0.02

JR
THE TRUTH ALWAYS SOUNDS BETTER!
FIGHTONSC

Postby Gila Trout » August 22nd, 2014, 10:37 pm

I mainly use 3 flies a zebra midge, birds nest nymph and a twin lakes special and have caught most species of fresh water fish everywhere I have fished these 3 patterns.

Lanny
Gila Trout

Postby flybob » August 23rd, 2014, 5:57 pm

Welcome to the forum.

FBWBHBHP.......size 12 optimal

11 species of fish from So Cal to Coos Bay!

I still have not had a Cuttie take it......but there is still time!

You can't buy it ANYWHERE!
"The accomplishment of flyfishing is all about the experience of diversity......and the occasional element of surprise."
(rmg/2012)
flybob

Postby midger » August 23rd, 2014, 8:54 pm

flybob wrote:Welcome to the forum.

FBWBHBHP.......size 12 optimal

I still have not had a Cuttie take it......but there is still time!
You can't buy it ANYWHERE!

Bob,
Send me a couple and I'll check that square for you up here in Kansas. ;)

Seriously, you can catch fish on many different flies and there is no "one" magic fly that will work in all circumstances. You've received good advice from many folks here on the forum, and depending on how you like to fish, pick accordingly. If I were limited to one fly, it would be the microbuggers I use. They work well in lakes, streams and rivers and can be fished as a basic nymph or stripped as a streamer. If I only had one dry to carry, it would be a hi-vis stimulator with a fluorescent orange overwing so I can see it easily and also know immediately when it is floating correctly. If you can see the fluro-orange overwing, it is upright and floating fine. If not, it is upside down (of course I've caught fish when it floats that way, but somehow that just seems wrong. ;)

BTW, welcome to the forum and I looks forward to your fishing tales of those caught and those not.....
"Should you cast your fly into a branch overhead or into a bush behind you, or miss a fish striking, or lose him,or slip into a hole up to your armpits-keep your temper; above all things don't swear, for he that swears will catch no fish."
midger

Postby FlyBo » August 25th, 2014, 4:52 pm

Thank you all for the replies, and welcome. I will give some of the flies a go.
FlyBo

Postby Richard W T » August 26th, 2014, 1:46 pm

I've had luck with a couple flies in lakes and rivers all over the country.
wooly bugger
prince nymph
elk hair
"How do you help that son of a *?"
"By taking him fishing."
-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
Richard W T

Postby rkfiske » September 4th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Papasequoia wrote:Sex dungeon.

Nah, Meat Whistle in size 3/0... black.
"The real truth is, convincing a fish to strike is like playing string with a cat: the exact size and color of the string is probably less important than how you wiggle it. And little cats are easier to fool than big ones." - John Gierach
rkfiske

Return to General Fly Fishing