REALTIME FLOWS    U. Kern: n/a cfs    L. Kern: 1341 cfs    E.W: 312 cfs    U. Owens: 108 cfs    L. Owens: 496 cfs   09/02/19 1:15 PM PST

Paso Robles flyfishing areas??

For topics that don't seem to have a home elsewhere.

Postby tree catcher » July 20th, 2014, 8:56 pm

I am going on a vacation in Paso Robles in a week and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on where to go flyfishing for trout or if the area is even legal to fish? I know about the big salty pond just to the west, but I would really like to get on some running water. With the current situation that Ca is in, I doubt that its even possible.
Thanks
Sean
tree catcher

Postby Rasputinj » July 20th, 2014, 9:32 pm

I think you have it head north towards Big Sur area or head east to either Kern or maybe Kings Canyon or Sequoia. Maybe other locals will know of other areas. Good luck
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Re: Paso Robles flyfishing areas??

Postby WanderingBlues » July 21st, 2014, 5:28 pm

Gonna be hot as *, Sean. Lake Nacimento is the closest water and that'll be bass. Just hit the vineyards and be happy. Oh, and PR Brewing on the town square is pretty good, too.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South
WanderingBlues

Postby Rasputinj » July 21st, 2014, 9:41 pm

WanderingBlues wrote:Gonna be hot as *, Sean. Lake Nacimento is the closest water and that'll be bass. Just hit the vineyards and be happy. Oh, and PR Brewing on the town square is pretty good, too.

I would stay away from Nacimiento, it is at around 21% capacity! I always like fishing the white bass at Bee Rock Cove, the Narrows and Beasley flat, I think most of those areas are dry now. Perch fishing up there can be good, reach out to Pete at Renaissance Rods he is up around there.
Rasputinj
Rasputinj

Postby fivefish » July 22nd, 2014, 10:26 am

The lakes would probably be the only bet unless you wanted to surf fish. Moving water isn't going to be happening. Firestone Walker brewery in Paso Robles is my favorite though. Their Union Jack and Double Jack are two of my favorite beers.
fivefish

Postby briansII » July 22nd, 2014, 10:52 am

What they said. Have a buddy that lives in SLO, and he calls the area "trout *". While there are planted trout in some lakes, this year it's probably not a good option. Head west young man. ;)

briansII
briansII

Postby philosofisher » July 22nd, 2014, 11:11 am

21%?!? Man, that is disheartening.
philosofisher

Postby tree catcher » July 22nd, 2014, 4:50 pm

So it looks like I will take my first vacation in years that will not involve fishing.... GAASP!!! what is this world coming too... Ohh well looks like we will just take in the sights and have a few glasses of wine and stop off at a few breweries and pubs in the area.
tree catcher

Postby Bernard » July 22nd, 2014, 9:17 pm

I'm guessing that Paso Robles means wine tasting?
Given these tough water times, I'd focus on wine.
* I almost went there for Journey who are playing the fair there~
See: http://www.journeymusic.com/pages/tour.
Heck, the Fair could be fun!
B
Bernard

Postby acorad » July 22nd, 2014, 10:54 pm

Two Saturdays ago I drove up the 101 to Salinas/Monterey and I was pleasantly surprised to see from the freeway at 75 mph what looked like a decent amount of water in the Salinas River at and just north of Paso Robles.

Here is some info I just googled about the river, not sure how current it is: http://flyfishing.about.com/od/wheretof ... ishing.htm

And it looks like there are many blue-line creeks that feed the river that flow out of the mountain canyons west of the Salinas River.

I'm very interested in what you may find up there!

Andy
acorad

Postby Bernard » July 23rd, 2014, 11:12 am

Andy is spot on.

Permit me to add the following: I obsessed for years over this area however the about.com does not cover certain nuances with regards to regs and tribs. Example: Ta*****a Cr. is anadromous water so is now closed. On the flip-side Arroyo Seco is legal but only above a waterfall in its lower reaches. That region is fascinating and little known. I have some great STORIES about this area.

Should you go, I'd love to see the report. Just sayin' that it's dicey up there with regards to what is legal water and sufficient water. You might enjoy it as a recon opportunity for wetter times. I refrained from even PM-ing about it because this year is so brutal.

I sometimes consult with the rangers at the King City offices of the LP before entering. See: http://www.fs.usda.gov/lpnf/.

Best of luck.
B.
Bernard

Postby Pete » July 23rd, 2014, 11:22 am

Be very careful of blueline fishing in SLO county. Most of our waters are closed to fishing. Typically it is fishing permitted west of the south bound lane of the 101 and most of that is Wed, Sat, Sun and legal holidays for a couple of months and this time of year isn't those couple of months.

FYI: The tides roll in and the tides roll out so techincally the big blue is moving water ;) The Barred Surf Perch are starting to show back up in the surf. Typically several of us fish the surf around Morro Rock on the weekends. Let me know when you will be here and maybe we can hit the surf. If the water keeps warming the Halibut may come in to Port San Luis earlier than usual.
Pete

Postby briansII » July 23rd, 2014, 3:05 pm

Pete wrote:Be very careful of blueline fishing in SLO county. Most of our waters are closed to fishing. Typically it is fishing permitted west of the south bound lane of the 101 and most of that is Wed, Sat, Sun and legal holidays for a couple of months and this time of year isn't those couple of months.

FYI: The tides roll in and the tides roll out so techincally the big blue is moving water ;) The Barred Surf Perch are starting to show back up in the surf. Typically several of us fish the surf around Morro Rock on the weekends. Let me know when you will be here and maybe we can hit the surf. If the water keeps warming the Halibut may come in to Port San Luis earlier than usual.

And, access is sketchy since there is a lot of privately owned property. Lots of things blocking fishing(for good reason)that area, but it sounds like an interesting adventure. IMHO, any reports should be done discretely.

briansII
briansII

Postby tree catcher » July 24th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Bernard wrote:I'm guessing that Paso Robles means wine tasting?
Given these tough water times, I'd focus on wine.
* I almost went there for Journey who are playing the fair there~
See: http://www.journeymusic.com/pages/tour.
Heck, the Fair could be fun!
B

If Journey would have waited a few days that would be a great show. Arnel has done the best job out of the other replacement singers.. not a bad find considering that the band found him on YouTube
tree catcher

Postby Bernard » July 26th, 2014, 10:16 am

tree catcher wrote: If Journey would have waited a few days that would be a great show. Arnel has done the best job out of the other replacement singers.. not a bad find considering that the band found him on YouTube

Agreed - I am 100% floored by the job he's done and the story is fantastic. There's a good documentary on YouTube. I am fully entertained too in that the Filipinos are masters of cover bands so it kind of makes sense. Always hard not to love Steve Perry but the show must go on right? Or was it the "Wheel in the sky ..."
Hats off to Arnel.
B
Bernard

Return to General Fly Fishing